Saturday, April 18, 2009

Penis bones, scrabble, and books du jour

This necklace is from Erica Weiner (link below) and is a raccoon penis bone. For those of you that have read JT Leroy's book, Sarah, you'll know what this is. In the book, Cherry Vanilla (a young boy), dreams of becoming a girl truck stop prostitute, called a 'lot lizard'. The best lot lizards wear raccoon penis bone necklaces and the bigger the bone, the better the lot lizard. 
It's one of my favorite books of all time. Raw and real. amazing. 
i want this necklace. 






i love all of her jewelry, but because i'm allergic to anything but gold, my options are pricey and limited. 



These are all pieces from Erica Weiner: i have all but the first one:  
-Porcupine penis bone necklace
-filagree ring
-porcupine quill necklace
-handcuff necklace (from my loving boyfriend)
-scrabble board necklace (is says 'ma coeur toujours pour toi', which means 'my heart is always for you')
-book lovers neckalce (which i use as a pill jar when i wear it)




The story of how i fell in love with this designer is great. I had just moved to New York City and wandered into a designers market in a dimly lit, and rather smelly, public school gym on the lower east side. I wandered around and fell in love with the jewelry of one designer. She was just starting out and didn't have but ten or eleven pieces with her. I fell in love with the filagree ring and ended up shelling out $80 for it (there was only one). Over the next three years, i wore my ring frequently, loving it greatly. 





When I moved away from NYC, i began to miss it. I started following blogs of friends and socialites i knew that still lived there. I stumbled upon the Bona Drag boutique website and fell in love with the booklovers neckalce. I bought it, and wore it for a few months and loved it. Then, through blogging, i stumbled upon the Erica Weiner website and while browsing, realized i already owned 2 of her pieces! it was wonderful to find this great designer again

No comments: