Thursday, September 4, 2008

....

i've always felt an unsoken connection to my great grandmother, vivienne Hoyt (or mouse as my mom called her). I have mouse's handheld mirror and one of her necklaces and one of her rings- all of which my mother gave me. I can't explain this connection i feel with her when i didn't even know her beyond the age of 2, when she died.

anyways, i was reading some of her poetry, and came across something that my great grandfather, 'grandaddy', had written about her:

"Vivienne had many qualities that attracted me. We were alike in many ways; in many tastes; and quite unalike in others. i was a conformist, where Vivien was a non-conformist. I was brought up to accept and respect authority. Vivien, by nature a Rebel, conditioned acceptance and respect for authority on its wisdom and justice and morality. I, by nature, could accept an end result without knowing or caring how it came about. Vivien, on the contrary, had to know why and how. Vivien always had, and still has, a serenity that is delightful, wonderfully soothing quality to live with. She was pretty as a high-school and college girl, but is even prettier now as a middle aged matron. i mentioned vivien's rebel qualities; that she was a non-conformist. these qualities were accompanies by a quaker-like code of morals, fortunately.---over the years together as our lives have blended together, i have seen many of her qualities become second nature to me, and likewise many of my qualities became part of vivien"

i hope to have a love like thiers someday. and, sometimes, i see a little bit of her in me...or what i know of her at least.

No comments: